Don't Panic, File a Tax Extension to Buy More Time

Doing taxes probably gets so buried in your to-do list that when the time comes to actually file them (now-ish), you think oh, crap! and panic mode sets in. Instead of driving yourself to drink, trying to hit the April 18 deadline, request an extension to file your taxes at a later date. Here’s how.

If you’ve run out of time or are still missing important forms, you should consider filing an extension. The process is surprisingly painless and free, with no questions asked. You can file it via the IRS website or by mailing a paper form, or have your tax preparer file a Form 4868. Make sure to do this by April 18 and you’ll have until October 16 to file your return. Keep in mind, however, the six-month extension isn’t a reason to procrastinate for another five and a half months.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *