A young girl’s life was saved after her pet German shepherd shielded her from a rattlesnake. Seven-year-old Molly DeLuca was playing in her backyard when a highly venomous Eastern Diamondback suddenly slithered out of the grass. Her two-year-old dog, Haus, whom the family had rescued from an animal shelter, sprang into action, jumping between the snake and the little girl.
“He kept jumping back and then forward… and he did it three times. He had every opportunity to run but he didn’t,” Donya DeLuca, Molly’s mother, told WFLA. The brave act allowed Molly to get away, but Haus was bitten three times by the snake and had to be rushed to the veterinarian.
“He was just, kind of, holding his ground. Next thing we know is there’s blood and he was limping and crying,” DeLuca told Fox 13.
Haus was quickly treated with anti-venom injections and is expected to survive the deadly encounter, much to the DeLuca family’s relief. “I feel really grateful for the dog,” DeLuca said. “It is frightening to think it could have been my daughter. I don’t know if she would have made it.”
When others learned of Haus’s bravery, a family friend set up a GoFundMe to help defray the costs of the expensive anti-venom, which can run in the thousands of dollars. So far, the family has collected over $52,000 and has asked well-wishers to instead donate to Heidi’s Legacy Rescue, a Florida animal shelter, “so others can find their Haus.”